Thursday, October 21, 2010

What a surprise!


I have no doubt that I have the best job in the world. I work as a speech-language pathologist with children ages 3-5 in an early childhood special education setting. The kids say and do the greatest things. Everyday I get to play (reminds me just how much we should live life like a three-year-old: they honestly have it figured out). It's also the people I work with ... by far, some of the most dedicated professionals. I'm constantly learning from them and feel blessed to be a part of such a talented group of educators.

Today, they gave me a surprise that I'll never forget. On my way up to our monthly luncheon, I entered the hallway to find all of them standing to the side, holding posters, cheering and chanting. They had set up the hallway to resemble a race. As I ran past, they cheered and I even got to run through the ribbon at the finish line (it felt as great as I always imagined it would). Because I chose a marathon so far away, they wanted to make sure that they were able to show their support. Did they ever!

Not only did they make posters, create a race, but they also made me motivational cards and placed them on a ring so that I can read them if I need some inspiration during the marathon.

Here's what a few of the cards said:
-You go, girl
-I am so proud of you! You are such an inspiration to me. 26.2 cross the finish line and celebrate
-Best of luck on your upcoming marathon. You are truly an inspiration to us all. I am so lucky to have you as a friend and co-worker.
-R (really fast) U (ur awesome) N (Niagara falls). Good luck, you will do great!
-"You can do anything if you have enthusiasm" - Henry Ford.
-You have more enthusiasm for life than anyone I know, which means you are going to do great. Have fun and make sure to really enjoy this amazing accomplishment.
-Keep up the race
-You rock, Miss Marena, you are the best
-Best of luck! You will do great! Have fun!
-Don't stop running, Marena. I'll be watching you! (inside joke that had me laughing for quite a while)
-What kind of crazy nut would spend 2-3 hours a day just running?
-A lot of people run to see who is fastest. I run to see who has guts.
-Marena, it gives me blue thoughts knowing that you're running a marathon! If you can run a marathon, you can pretty much do anything! You should be so proud of yourself for getting to this place. Good luck!!!
-3 years ago, you would have laughed if I told you I'd be running a marathon, but guess what ... you are doing it!
-"Only as high as I can reach, can I grow. Only as far as I seek, can I go. Only as deep as I look, can I see. Only as much as I dream, can I be." - Karen Ravn
-Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else
-"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer
-So proud of you, Marena
-Kick some major bootie, girl. Girls rock! You're awesome!
-Just say, "Now I can put a 26.2 sticker on my car."
-Go, Marena! Your family and friends are so proud of you. Even if we aren't there, don't cry (related to a very hilarious story where I tried to encourage a runner that didn't find me to very helpful).
-You go, girl!
-Best of luck, Marena. Have a great trip!

I can't begin to express how much it all meant to me. What an incredible moment to experience! I won't forget it!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You have some truly great co-workers. What an awesome way to support you. I loved all of their comment cards, very funny. They are right, we are all proud of you and you will do great! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a definite highlight to my life experiences. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to hear of your adventures ... crossing cultural and political boundaries! ha! have the best trip ever. if we could be in canada, our sign would say, "imagine bosco is chasing you! keep going!"

    winks.

    safe travels! see you soon : erica

    ReplyDelete